Pew rent records, v. 4, 1788-1789
V MI46 P4p v. 4
The practice of renting pews was common in 19th century churches; members paid a fee for the right to occupy a particular pew every week. The majority of this bound manuscript is devoted to recording pew rents paid to Third Presbyterian from 1787 to 1789. Entries are usually listed by pew number and congregant name, with dates and amounts paid, and for most of the book they span two pages, verso and recto. A few pages towards the beginning of the manuscript contain records of payments to individuals and annual collection totals, dating from 1765 to 1769.
Third Presbyterian Church, Philadelphia, PA
Presbyterian Historical Society